Tuesday, November 08, 2022

Your Opponent Can Mess Up Just Like You Can, Only Worse!

 Here's a great example of why it's good to keep playing, despite how hopeless your situation may seem.  




This game went downhill pretty quickly for me after the opening; it's a "daily" game, so each player has up to 24 hours to make their move. I messed up my first attack and all my attempts to trick my opponent into letting me back into the game failed, until the point above.  Analysis shows I was at -10, a crushingly imbalanced position when he castled and I moved my queen to here.

I assumed he would check my king with his queen, and I'd slip through my wall of pawns and hopefully be able to deliver the coup de grace and win the game if I could just avoid getting checked on one turn myself.

Luckily for me my opponent went Nf5, leaving me a nice mate in 2. Can you see it?  In a daily game you have time to use the analysis board and play the moves out, even the stuff you assume will work, just to be sure!






No comments: