Friday, November 11, 2022

Beginner's Luck with the English Opening

 I looked through the Awards section of chess.com to see what other badges and trinkets I could earn for my account. I noticed a section I hadn't paid much attention to: the opening books. They give you a little badge for opening a game in a certain way; some of them are multiple moves, but other's such as the English opening just require your first move to be a particular one. You might even earn some of these by accident!



I picked the English opening, 1. c4, and thought "I'll just blast through a game and see what happens; if I lose I'll still get the bade. Lucky for me the game went really smoothly with a nice finish!



Can you see the mate in 2?



That was fun! I'll try and get the other opening book badges too, which will let me get a taste for other openings. I'm currently doing London system as white and as black I'm playing the French against 1. e4 and a kind of semi-slav (which is close to a reverse London system) against everything else.

No comments: