Saturday, September 06, 2003

Late Night Walk

Deanne and I went for a long walk last night. I thought it wasn't hot
outside, but boy was I wrong ! It's a half-mile walk to the gate that
leads to the beach and before we were halfway there I was feeling the
smothering effect of Florida's humid nights. Still we pressed on, with
Patch sniffing his way along and exercising his nose as much as his
body.

We walked half a mile up the beach and back, enjoying the ocean's cool
water on our feet while Patch was almost invisible in the clouded-over
moonlight. We saw something we'd never seen before though...two
baby sea-turtles ! Our beach is a nesting ground for sea turtles and though
we've seen the position of their nests (they're marked with stakes and flags)
we'd never actually seen turtles there either coming or going.

Each encounter was only a few brief seconds, but it was very cool to watch.
They're so small but they push steadfastly down the beach and into
the water. Each one faced at least one big wave that pushed them back,
but that same wave carried them forward again into the ocean. I'm sure
someone might think that was a metaphor for something, but not me.

No comments: