Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Playing a "perfect" game

 The chess.com engine says I made no errors when playing this game, which is really nice to see. My stats are on the right side.



It's one of ten games I'm playing as part of a daily tournament on chess.com. In my group of six players I think I'm going to come second - it will be very difficult to catch the guy already in first place.


The game itself felt very smooth as I was playing. I didn't have any big breakthroughs but I did have three opportunities to pick up a pawn from my opponent.  He had a hanging bishop that I looked for ways to capture safely, but could not make that happen.

Interestingly, the engine says some of the times I captured a pawn that wasn't actually the best move! It preferred a positional move, but I'm a simple man and feel better when I'm ahead in material. It feels like a more flexible and "easy to trust" evalation for my abilities.

 I saw towards the end he could get into my back ranks but it didn't look like he could do any damage before I did the same to him, but with enough control to mate him. Thank you, Datiss, for the game!

No comments: